- Wallet: Your Portal into Web3
- MetaMask Setup
- Layer 2 Scaling - Add Arbitrum to Networks
- Funding Your Wallet
Wallet: Your Portal into Web3
AI Arena is built on the Ethereum blockchain. For players to access the game, they need to connect to Web3 via a wallet.
A wallet is a place where you store tokens and NFTs, but it can also act as an identifier or login. No password needed to access AI Arena. You can connect to the site through your wallet!
We provide multiple wallet integrations into our game application, including:
MetaMask, WalletConnect and Coinbase Wallet
If you don't have any of these installed, you can follow the steps below to get setup with MetaMask. The process is similar irrespective of which wallet you choose.
1. Go to Chrome Web Store Extensions.
2. Search for MetaMask.
3. Check to make sure it is the legitimate MetaMask is being installed, as hackers might try to make clones of it.
4: Click the “Add to Chrome button”. Or whichever browser you use.
5. Upon downloading the extension follow the steps provided and then pause on this screen.
6. Click "Create a Wallet."
7. After creating your wallet, make sure to write down your Secret Recovery Phrase!
MetaMask is not a cloud-based solution. This Secret Recovery Phrase is the only way to recover your MetaMask accounts if your device breaks, is lost, stolen.
Do NOT share your Secret Recovery Phrase and Private Keys.
Never share this information with anyone, including the MetaMask team. Neither MetaMask or AI Arena will ever ask for you to provide this.
8. Upon completing the above steps. Take a look at your MetaMask dashboard. This dashboard is where you are able to access your wallet address. From there you will be able to receive/send ETH.
Layer 2 Scaling - Add Arbitrum to Networks
After setting up your wallet, you now access to Ethereum Mainnet, which is the base layer (”Layer 1”) blockchain. As the number of people using Ethereum has grown, the blockchain has reached certain capacity limitations. This has driven up the cost of using the network, creating the need for "scaling solutions."
There are multiple solutions being researched, tested and implemented that take different approaches to achieve similar goals. Layer 2 scaling is a promising category of solutions. AI Arena is currently deployed on Arbitrum, which is a leading Layer 2 provider.
In addition, as we are currently in Beta testing, we use a specific test network called Arbitrum Nitro Rollup Testnet.
The instructions below will get you set up to the Arbitrum Nitro Rollup Testnet, where the beta is currently being deployed.
1. In your wallet, you will need to make sure you switch to this specific Arbitrum network. To do this, click on the MetaMask extension. Then, click on the dropdown at the top to choose which Ethereum network you’d like to be on.
2. To add Arbitrum as a network click “Add Network” and fill in the following data and then click “Save”.
- New RPC URL: https://rinkeby.arbitrum.io/rpc
- Chain ID: 421613
- Currency Symbol: ETH
- Block Explorer URL: https://testnet.arbiscan.io/
3. Select the Arbitrum Nitro Rollup Testnet network in Metamask's network selector (drop down at the top of Metamask):
Funding Your Wallet
Now that you are set up on the correct network, you will need some funds to actually use the network. Since we are operating on a test network, you can get access to fake ETH. No need for real money just yet! However, when we eventually launch on the Mainnet, so you will need to fill up your wallet with real ETH.
First, you will need to get some Goerli ETH from the test network on Layer 1.
Navigate to Alchemy's Goerli Faucet to get free Goerli ETH. The first step is to enter your Ethereum wallet address for the Goerli network to send testnet ETH to and click “Send Me ETH”
- Please watch and follow these steps if having difficulties.
Next, you need to fund your wallet on Arbitrum Nitro Rollup Testnet with ETH from Goerli Testnet.
1. Go to Arbitrum Bridge.
2. Make sure you are connected and on the Goerli network.
3. Make sure your Layer 1 balance reflects the amount in your MetaMask wallet on the Goerli test network.
4. Select the amount of Goerli ETH you want on the Arbitrum Nitro Rollup Testnet and then click on “Deposit”.
5. Read the prompt and click “Move funds to Arbitrum” and wait up to 15 minutes to receive ETH on the Arbitrum Nitro Rollup Testnet.
6. Click the dropdown at the top of the MetaMask extension to switch the network back to the Arbitrum Rinkeby test network. Here you will see your balance update once you receive your ETH.
Now you're all set up!